Manor Farm


In 1983 Manor Farm was one of the oldest buildings in the village, the house being built in 1690 with extensions added later.  It contained original beams an a very old stone fireplace.

From as long ago as the middle of the 18th Century at least it was farmed by various members of the Elton family, ancestors of Miss Doris Carter of the Yews Farm, Haunton..  When Miss Carter's Great Grandfathers died at Manor Farm, late in the 19th Century, her Grandmother, married John Lees of Upton Warren, Worcestershire, and the family came to live at Manor Farm.

The farm remained in the Lees Family, through John Lees, Uncle of Miss Carter, until 1922/23 when Mr P H Mercer took over.  He was succeeded by his son Alexander Wylie Mercer and lastly Roger Mercer.

The Mercers of Manor Farm have left their mark in many Countries.  Pigs from their famous Large White Herd have been widely exported, often for foundation stock.  They have been sent to many parts of the world including Russia, France, Belgium, Hungary, Africa and the Americas.

Many Show Awards were won with the Large Whites.  In the Royal Show in 1964 the Herd had great success winning five firsts and three seconds in seven classes ranging from Porkers to Heavy Pigs.  They also took four of the Show's principal trophies including the Supreme Award for the best pair of pigs of any kind and they had the Reserve Supreme Champion Single Pig.

1983 Pedigree Pigs were no longer reared at Manor Farm, but the farm became noted for its Pedigree Cattle amongst other things.

The Manor Farm became up for sale in 1983.  





This aerial photo of 1992/93 shows Manor Farm on the right hand 
side of the photo.



       Shorthorn Dairy cows on Manor Farm 1940s


         Percy Wallis, horses and Tommy Lees


    Andrew Mercer shows how it's done - Pig Sale 19



        Tennis at Manor Farm 
               1965 - 1966




The farm was sold and demolished and the houses on Churchside were built.


Comments